Our team at F-infotech, took up a self learning course in Design Thinking. We find the course be very helpful in identifying problems, creating designs and implementing effective solutions that can lead to positive social change. We believe sharing our learning can help others to use Design thinking and keep us motivated in moving forward.
Design Thinking is a confidence that new, better things are possible and believing that you can make them happen.
Basic assumption of Design Thinking is that innovation happens at the intersection of three equal factors Human, Technology and Economy. Innovation combines desirability, feasibility and economy.
The Design Thinking Process aims to bring together different possible experiences, opinions and perspectives on a problem. The focus is less on elaboration of ideas but rather on extensive experimentation and gathering new insights.
Design Thinking is a mind-set:
Design Thinking is a kind of a mind set based on the following,
- Believing we can make a difference
- With a intentional process in place we can lead to solutions with positive experience
- Having faith in your creative abilities
- Process can transform challenges into opportunities
Four Important Things in Design Thinking:
- Design Thinking is a Human Centered Design Process – It is important to have deep empathy when designing solutions for others problems/challenges
- In Human Centered Design, process starts with the people we are designing for – putting people in the center of our work
- Collaborative – Better solutions can be obtained by working together than doing alone
- Optimistic – Should strongly believe we all can make a difference no matter how hard the circumstances
- Experimental – Failing should be treated as opportunities to learn from mistakes
Design Thinking to any challenge:
Design Thinking can be used to approach any challenge,
- Curriculum – with process design thinking process we can build curriculum that are more interesting for students
- Spaces – Spaces send out signals that influence people behaviour
- Tools and Process – Tools and Process can be made better and effective aligning the needs of stakeholders
- Systems – Not everyone gets to be the decision maker everytime in the system but everyone who is a part of it can help design it better
Hope you find this as an useful introduction to Design Thinking. Let us know if you have any questions, suggestions or queries.
Different Phases in Design Thinking will be discussed in the next post.