Digital Literacy and Digital access have become important competitor differentiation irrespective of the domain or context in today’s digital era. ICT (Information and Communication Technology) revolutions started bridging the gap between economic and developmental divides.
Digital divide is more than just a gap between people who has digital access and who don’t. It is not just limited to access of information. Digital divide exist between who apply critical thinking or not, speak English or not and create digital content or not.
Digital Literacy is important for people to take control, participate and contribute in digital world as Digital Citizens. Many governments and research has emphasized the important of Digital Literacy and Citizenship for their countries economic development and wellness.
Digital Citizenship has nine components:
- Digital Access – Full participation of the society with the help of digital tools
- Digital Commerce – Buying and selling of goods in digital platform using digital tools
- Digital Communication – Refers to the exchange of information electronically using digital tools
- Digital Literacy – Skills, behavior and knowledge needed to use Digital tools and access required information
- Digital Etiquette – Electronic standards of conduct or procedure to be followed
- Digital Law – Set of rules and responsibility for actions and needs in digital world
- Digital rights and responsibilities – Refers to the freedom that extends to everyone in digital world
- Digital health & wellness – Physical and psychological well being in digital technology world
- Digital security – refers to the precautions to guarantee safety